|Fluvanna||22974||394 ft.||/70||1991||US 15 & CR 631|
|The only "town" signs are this (shown at left) road sign on US 15 at the intersection with Co. Rd 631 and another at the other end of 631 at the intersection with US 250. The Troy Post Office is located at this intersection. Several residences are located on 631.
The town was named by "Captain" T. O. Troy for himself. "Captain" Troy was the president of the Virginia Airline Railway Company which built a railroad track to connect the C&O Mainline (several miles North of Troy) with the C&O James River Line at the Southern end of Fluvanna County. The story goes that the railway stop at this location orignially did not have agency status and was called Clarkland. Clarkland's shed was replaced sometime after May, 1908 with a complete agency station. "Captain" T. O. Troy was on hand for the ground breaking ceremonies and he cut down a persimmon tree (the symbol of Fluvanna County) and announced that the keystone of the community's future prosperity (the train agency) would thereafter bear his own name. The agency was housed in a most impressive structure that also included James Hasher's general store (see below).
Taken from the Bulletin of the Fluvanna County Historical Society (April, 1984) 37:3-38. "Years with the Airline" by Noel Harrison.
This deserted building must have been Hasher's general store since there is a small graveyard right next to the store with three markers (shown below) all with the name 'Hasher'.
Northland Forest Products
Daniel Harris' Homepage
Correctional Center for Women