cgep homepage

Rita F. Kostoff
photography - uva grounds


Home

CGEP Duties

Personal

CGEP Web Site

Family      Animals      Nature    Flowers    Still Life      
Travels     UVA Grounds     UVA Gardens


The South Portico of the Rotunda - The University of Virginia's focal building and Thomas Jefferson's major architectural triumph, The Rotunda, built in 1826, is designed after Rome's Pantheon.

The Lawn Rooms and Pavilions
extend down the lawn from the Rotunda and make up Jefferson's "academical village". At UVa, we do not have a "campus" but rather "grounds".
The North Portico of the Rotunda - The north portico was built to connect to an annex which was added to the Rotunda in 1851.  The annex was destroyed by fire in 1895 and was not rebuilt.  Centered in the plaza below the 24 marble steps is one of the University's three major statues of  Jefferson.  An imposing life-size figure in bronze, this monument by Moses Ezekiel was cast in Rome and erected in 1910.

Cabell Hall on 9/11/06 - flags commemorating those who died in attacks of  9/11/01.


Archway beside the Rotunda

 


University Chapel, a neo-Gothic stone building designed by Charles E. Cassell of Baltimore, is located near the Rotunda. Its cornerstone was laid in 1885. No longer used for regular services, the Chapel is used mostly for weddings and memorial services.
Thornton Hall - The School of
Engineering and Applied Science.
Thornton Hall is the main building for
SEAS, housing the Dean's Offices,
Civil Engineering & Applied
Mechanics, Electrical Engineering,
and parts of Materials Science and
Chemical Engineering. The other
departments are in separate
buildings adjacent to Thornton Hall.
Darden Court at Thornton Hall
2/28/08

Mail comments to: rfk2u@virginia.edu

university of virginia school of engineering & applied science