9.00-9.30 Registration and distribution of information kit.
9.30-9.40 Welcome (Warren Horton, Director-General, National Library of Australia).
9.40-10.00 Introduction to the 3rd National Roundtable and background information (Eric Wainwright, Deputy Director-General, National Library of Australia).
10.00-10.45 Asian Studies in Australia. Chairman: Prof. Colin Mackerras, Griffith University
1. Asian Studies in Australia: Trends and Prospects / Beverley Hooper, President, Asian Studies Association of Australia
2. The Australian Research Council and the Funding of Asian Research / Prof. Max Brennan, Chairman, ARC
3. South Asia: Future Directions for Australian Research : Prof. Robin Jeffrey, La Trobe University
10.45-11.00 - Morning Tea - 11.00-12.00 Overview of developments since the 2nd National Roundtable (1993). Chairman: Nada, University Librarian, Murdoch University
1. Bibliographic Access to Asian Materials at a National Level / Julia Trainor, Director, National Bibliographical Services, Services to Libraries, National Library of Australia
2. Asian Collections: Collection Development and Analysis (evaluation of questionnaire distributed to State and University libraries) / Cliff law, Director, Distributed National Collection Office, National Library of Australia
3. Issues in the Automation of Access to Asian Materials Chinese Periodical Indexing on CHARLINET / Susan Prentice, Senior Collection Management Librarian, East Asia, Australian National University INTAN MAS Database / Oliver Mann, Northern Territory University National CJK Project / Linda Groom, Project Manager, National Chinese, Japanese and Korean Automation Project APSIG/ACLIS Survey of On-line Asian Databases / Nereida Cross, SILAS, University of New South Wales
12.00-1.00 - Lunch - Short tours available to Asian Collections, 3rd Floor. Demonstrations of Australian Conspectus software in Conference Room and CJK system if available.
1.00-2.00 Future Directions for Asian Library Services in Australia Chairman: Edward Lim, University Librarian, Monash University * Indicates issues paper has been mounted on NLA Information Server in advance for comment.
1. *South Asian Collection Needs / John Horacek, Divisional Librarian, Acquisitions, La Trobe University
2. *The DNC and Collecting Agreements / Alex Byrne, Chief Librarian, Northern Territory University
3. *What is the Future for Networking and the Internet in Australia and the Region / Dr T.M. Ciolek, Australian National University and Dr Warwick Cathro, Assistant Director-General, Services to Libraries, National Library of Australia
4. *Asian Library Services: What are the Training and Staffing Needs / Chooi-hon Ho, Associate Librarian, Information Services, Monash University
2.00-3.00 Syndicate discussion in groups on specific topics as follows:
(a) South Asia. Issues Leader: John Horacek / Group Facilitator: tba
(b) Collection Development and Collecting Agreements. Issues Leader: Alex Byrne / Group Facilitator: Cliff Law
(c) Networking and the Internet Issues Leaders: Warwick Cathro, T.M. Ciolek
(d) Training, Staff, Competencies Issues leader: Chooi-hon Ho / Group Facilitator: Susan MacDougall
(e) Preservation of Asian Collections Issues Leader: Dr Neil Radford / Group Facilitator: Katy Bellingham
(f) Bibliographical Control of Asian Materials Issues Leader: Julia Trainor / Group Facilitator: Linda Groom
3.15-4.15 Final Discussion; Recommendations; Mechanism for Follow-up Action - Chaired by Eric Wainwright
Last updated 9 February 1995.