Digital Performer Tips and Shortcuts
Delete and Add Necessary Tracks
- Shift Drag over track names, then go to menu Project:Delete Tracks
- Go to menu Project: (Option for multiple) Add Tracks
- Option-Click on track name
- Each track has an audio input setting (for recording) and audio output setting
- Locate source recordings in a variety of formats, including: WAV, .mp3, AIFF, etc.
- Drag the downloaded audio file onto the left side of the Tracks or Sequence window
- Hold down Shift and then
press “B” to
access the soundbites window.
- Notice “imported” sound
files has been added to the list in the soundbites window.
- Click once to hear the soundbite and click twice to open it in
the Waveform Editor (DESTRUCTIVE EDITOR)
- Remove and delete unused soundbites by clicking on the "mini" menu in the top right corner of the soundbites window. Choose "select unused soundbites" and those unused sounds will be highlighted. Then go back to the same "mini" menu and select "delete."
- Double-Click on the audio in the Tracks window to view it in
the Sequence Editor.
- Click the Edit Grid Toggle
box in the top right hand corner of the window. This
turns off Snap to Grid.
- Resize the waveform using
the plus and minus buttons at the top left part of the window. This
can also be achieved by holding down the Command key while pressing
the arrow on the keyboard.
- Notice the time grid above
the tracks in this window. Go
to the menu Setup:Time to change between musical measures/bars
The following “mouse modes” apply
when hovering over audio waveforms
- The “Pointing Hand” allows
the movement of the waveform.
- Hovering over the furthest most left or right side of the waveform
allows manipulation of its starting and stopping points.
- Doing the same maneuver in the colored bar above the wave form
allows time stretching
- To make a selection within the waveform, move the mouse directly
under it and click-drag up.
- To audition parts of the
wave or to select a part of the wave for copying, double-click
the waveform. Then
click-drag over the part you wish to audition or copy.
- When one or more waveforms are selected in this window, click
in the time grid to move the cursor to different moments in time
without loosing the selection.
- Hold down the Shift key
and then press “M” to open
- Remove the window from the consolidated view by clicking on the
right most icon (up right arrow icon) or click anywhere on the mixer window, then go the the menu Window:Pop Out of Consolidated Window.
- Press the “zoom” icon
to expand the window if necessary
- For mixing multiple tracks, always add a Master Fader from the menu Project:Add Tracks:Add Master
The transport window is
the main controller for the software. Here
you can play or stop your sequence. You can also program “memorized” starting
and stopping points, useful during editing.
- To “memorize” the current position of the cursor,
hit the small Start text. Then click the Auto Rewind icon. Each
time you press the stop button (or space bar), the sequence will
automatically rewind to this point.
MANIPULATING THE “CONTROLABLE
QUALITIES OF SOUND”
On the mixer, several of the qualities can be controlled for each
- Intensity- primarily controlled by the volume
fader on each track
- Direction- primarily controlled by the pan knob
on each track (left to right.)
can be recorded in real time and played back by enabling the
Automation Record button. Always
do this step last.
primarily manipulated with an Equalizer plugin. These can
be inserted in any of the five empty insert slots.
- Tracks can be “Muted” or “Soloed” with
these respective buttons
In the Sequence Editor Window, the controllable qualities of
sound can be further altered.
- To reshape the track’s Envelope, click in the Audio Popup
Menu located on the track and choose Volume. Click and move
preexisting points or draw new ones in using the tools found in
the Studio Menu.
- The same can be done for panning within the same Popup Menu by
choosing Pan and using the tools.
- Any controllable parameter
on the track can be “automated” in
this way using this Popup Menu.