Joshua N. Pritikin
Joshua N. Pritikin
Mr. Pritikin's area of concentration is quantitative psychology.
His advisors are Steven Boker
and Karen Schmidt.
Primary contributor to OpenMx, a
software development project for sophisticated statistical modeling
that is a free software extension to R statistical
I am interested in the intersection of the contemplative practice of
meditation and experience of flow found in the autotelic performance
of activities. Our research team is currently working on a self
report measure for transient intrinsic extrinsic synchronization
(TIES) using item factor analysis and continuous time
modeling. Visit our lab blog.
- Jazz improvisation has been identified as a context that is
conductive to group flow (Keith
Sawyer). I am on the lookout for
opportunities to bring greater empirical scrutiny to how children
learn music and collaborate musically. Gordon's Music Learning Theory
seems like a potential starting point.
I encourage you to visit my political activism page.
- 2011-2013 University of Virginia, M.A. Psychology PDF
Thesis Topic: Item Factor Analysis: A primer and new open-source implementation
- 2007-2009 University of Oregon, B.S. Psychology (honors)
- 1990-1992 Carnegie Mellon University (incomplete)
Pritikin, J. N. & Schmidt, K. M. (in press). Model builder for Item Factor Analysis
with OpenMx. R Journal. PDF
Neale, M. C., Hunter, M. D., Pritikin, J. N., Zahery, M., Brick,
T. R., Kirkpatrick, R., Estabrook, R., Bates, T. C., Maes, H., Boker,
S. M. (in press). OpenMx 2.0: Extended structural equation and
statistical modeling. Psychometrika. PDF
Pritikin, J. N. (2016, March). Data for Boker et al (2009). Open Science Framework.
Boker, S. M., Brick, T. R., Pritikin, J. N., Wang, Y., von Oertzen, T., Brown, D. ... Neale, M. C. (2015).
Maintained individual data distributed likelihood estimation.
Multivariate Behavioral Research, 50(6), 706-720.
Kelly, G., Mobbs, S., Pritikin, J. N., Mayston, M., Mather, M., Rosenbaum, P., Henderson, R., & Forsyth, R. (2015).
Gross Motor Function Measure-66 trajectories in children recovering after severe acquired
brain injury. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 57(3), 241-247.
doi: 10.1111/dmcn.12592 DOCX
Pritikin, J. N., Hunter, M. D., & Boker, S. M. (2015). Modular open-source software for Item Factor
Analysis. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 75(3), 458-474.
Pritikin, J. N., & Schmidt, K. (2013). A self-report measure for familiarity with mental silence. In W. v. Moer, D. A. Çelik, & J. L. Hochheimer (Eds.), Spirituality in the 21st Century: Journeys beyond Entrenched Boundaries (pp. 23-31), Oxford, United Kingdom: Inter-Disciplinary Press. PDF
Pritikin, J. N. (2007). We ought to characterize dyadic prospects. International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction: Doctoral Consortium, Lisbon, Portugal. PDF
Misc. Teaching Experience
- 2015 Oct, Faculty Advanced Genetic Epidemiology Statistical Workshop: Applications to Drug Abuse. Richmond, VA
- 2015 Mar 23, Statistical Modeling Without Seeing the Data. 2015 Huskey Research Exhibition, University of Virginia, VA.
- 2015 Feb 21, Modern Test Theory Primer. Workshop taught at The 5th International Symposium on Assessment in Music Education, Williamsburg, VA.
- 2013 Mar 08, A self-report measure for familiarity with mental silence. Paper presented at The 3rd Global Conference on Spirituality in the 21st Century: Theory, Praxis and Pedagogy, Lisbon, Portugal.
- 2016 Mar 17, Fast estimation of multilevel structural equation models
- 2015 Apr 16, Arne's transient hypofrontality hypothesis: A bridge between flow and meditation (Quantitative Lunch) PDF Video
- 2014 Oct 16, Examination of the likelihood function by simulation of a fictional Hamiltonian system (Quantitative Lunch) PDF
- 2014 Mar 27, Numeric derivatives: Pushing the accuracy limits (Quantitative Lunch) [Talk PDF will not be released.]
- 2013 Oct 17, Item Factor Analysis: Everything I told you in the spring was wrong, and current status (Quantitative Lunch) PDF
- 2013 Mar 28, A new implementation of Item Factor Analysis: Accuracy, flexibility, and speed (Quantitative Lunch) PDF
- 2012 Nov 01, Navigating the bowels of Marginal Maximum Likelihood: An expectation-maximization Item Response Theory estimation algorithm (Quantitative Lunch) PDF
- 2012 Apr 19, Is there a link between flow and meditation? (Quantitative Lunch) PDF
- 2011 Dec 05, Oscillation around non-stationary equilibria (Quantitative Lunch) PDF
Awards and Honors
- 2014-2015 Developing Students for Leadership in Data-intensive Research and Innovation $20,000
- 2008-2009 Osher Reentry scholarship $4500
- 1023 Millmont St, Room 214
View Larger Map
- Gilmer 020 (Boker Human Dynamics Lab)
- by appointment
- Note: Graded 3006 papers are neatly stacked outside of Gilmer 300. Pick them up at your leisure.
Mobile: USA +1 434-218-2280, India +91 88881 63224
XMPP/Google Talk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skype ID: jpritikin and joshua.pritikin