Very Brief Curriculum Vitae for
John M. Unsworth
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science (also Professor, Department of English and Professor, Library Faculty), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-present
- Associate Professor, Dept. of English, University of Virginia, 1993-2003 (tenured 1996)
- Director, Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia, 1993-2003
- University of Virginia: Ph.D. in English, 1988
- Boston University: M.A. in English, 1982
- Amherst College: B.A. Magna Cum Laude in English, 1981
Recent and Forthcoming Publications:
- A New Companion to Digital Humanities. Edited with Ray Siemens and Susan Schreibman. Oxford: Wiley, 2016.
- "Pubrarians and Liblishers at 20: Reflections on Library Publishing from 1995–2014." Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication 2(4):eP1201. http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.1201
- "What is Humanities Computing and What is Not?" in Defining Digital Humanities: A Reader (London: Ashgate, 2013).
- "Medievalists as Early Adopters of Information Technology." Introduction to "Selected Proceedings of the "Third International MARGOT Conference, The Digital Middle Ages: Teaching and Research." Digital Medievalist 2011.
- "Collaborative Research: an interview." Collaborative Research in the Digital Humanities. Edited by Marilyn Deegan and Willard McCarty. Ashgate: London, 2013.
- Appointed Distinguished Presidential Fellow at the Council on Library and Information Resources, 2014-2015.
- Appointed by President Barack Obama to the National Coiuncil on the Humanities August 5, 2013-January 26, 2016.
- Allen Smith Visiting Scholar, School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College, 2012-2013.
- The Richard W. Lyman Award, 2005
- Vodafone Fellow, Kings College, University College London, Spring 2005
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens and Harold Short, University of Victoria, BC, June 8-12, 2015.
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens, University of Victoria, BC, June 1-7, 2014.
- ILiADS Summer Institute, Hamilton College, July 26-August 2, 2015.
- English 147B: 20th Century American Bestsellers, Spring 2014.
- ENG 158B: Digital Humanities Spring 2013
Editing and Curating:
- Member, Editorial Board, Digital Humanities Quarterly, 2006-present
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Electronic Publishing, University of Michigan Press.
- Co-founder and Editor Emeritus, Member, Editorial Board, Postmodern Culture: an electronic journal of interdisciplinary criticism (published by Johns Hopkins University Press): issue editor for issues 1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.3, 3.3, 4.2, 5.1, 5.3.
- Member, Blake Archive Advisory Board, 1998-present
- Member, Dickinson Editorial Collective Advisory Board, 1998-present
- Member, Romantic Circles Advisory Board, 1997-present
- PI, "The HistoryMakers: The Next Generation." A two-year grant to modernize The HistoryMakers infrastructure and connect it to research and teaching in higher education. Funded at $725,000 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2016.
- Co-PI, with Laura Wood (Tufts University). "The Eastern Academic Scholars' Trust (East): A Large-Scale Shared Print Collection Serving Northeastern Academic Libraries." Proposed on behalf of the Boston Library Consortium to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for funding of $994,771, March 30, 2015.
- Co-PI, with Laura Wood (Tufts University). "Repository Services for Accessible Course Content." Funded at $49,870 by the Institute for Museum and Library Studies. 2015.
- PI. "The HistoryMakers and the Higher Education Market." A planning grant to help a Brandeis alumna's non-profit oral history project become part of the collections of college and university libraries. Funded at $51,000 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2015.