Very Brief Curriculum Vitae for
John M. Unsworth
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science (also Professor, Department of English and Professor, Library Faculty), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-present
- Associate Professor, Dept. of English, University of Virginia, 1993-2003 (tenured 1996)
- Director, Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia, 1993-2003
- University of Virginia: Ph.D. in English, 1988
- Boston University: M.A. in English, 1982
- Amherst College: B.A. Magna Cum Laude in English, 1981
Recent and Forthcoming Publications:
- A New Companion to Digital Humanities. Edited with Ray Siemens and Susan Schreibman. Oxford: Wiley, 2016.
- "Pubrarians and Liblishers at 20: Reflections on Library Publishing from 1995–2014." Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication 2(4):eP1201. http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.1201
- "What is Humanities Computing and What is Not?" in Defining Digital Humanities: A Reader (London: Ashgate, 2013).
- "Medievalists as Early Adopters of Information Technology." Introduction to "Selected Proceedings of the "Third International MARGOT Conference, The Digital Middle Ages: Teaching and Research." Digital Medievalist 2011.
- "Collaborative Research: an interview." Collaborative Research in the Digital Humanities. Edited by Marilyn Deegan and Willard McCarty. Ashgate: London, 2013.
- "Computational work with very large text collections: Interoperability, Sustainability, and the TEI." Journal of the Text Encoding Initiative, Issue 1, June 2011. Selected Papers from the 2008 and 2009 TEI Conferences.
- "Challenges in Educating 21st-Century Information Professionals," Document, Information & Knowledge / Tu Shu Qing Bao Zhi Shi. Wuhan University, 2011.
- University 2.0," in Richard N. Katz, ed., The Tower and The Cloud. EDUCAUSE, 2008.
- "Beyond the ACLS Report: An Interview with John Unsworth," with Kevin Guthrie. Academic Commons, December 2007 (Special Cyberinfrastructure Issue).
- Our Cultural Commonwealth: The report of the American Council of Learned Societies Commission on Cyberinfrastructure for the Humanities and Social Sciences, John Unsworth (Commission Chair), with commission members and Marlo Welshons (editor). ACLS: New York, 2006.
- Electronic Textual Editing, co-edited with Lou Burnard and Katherine O'Brien O'Keeffe. New York: Modern Language Association, 2006. Supported by the Modern Language Association's Committee on Scholarly Editions and the Text Encoding Initiative Consortium, funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. An uncorrected full-text preview version is available free from the TEI website.
- A Companion to Digital Humanities, co-edited with Susan Schreibman and Ray Siemens. New York: Blackwells, 2004. A free full-text version is also available online from the ADHO web site.
- "The Next Wave: Liberation Technology," from The Chronicle of Higher Education's Chronicle Review, January 30, 2004.
- Appointed Distinguished Presidential Fellow at the Council on Library and Information Resources, 2014-2015.
- Appointed by President Barack Obama to the National Coiuncil on the Humanities August 5, 2013-January 26, 2016.
- Allen Smith Visiting Scholar, School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College, 2012-2013.
- The Richard W. Lyman Award, 2005
- Vodafone Fellow, Kings College, University College London, Spring 2005
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens and Harold Short, University of Victoria, BC, June 8-12, 2015.
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens, University of Victoria, BC, June 1-7, 2014.
- ILiADS Summer Institute, Hamilton College, July 26-August 2, 2015.
- English 147B: 20th Century American Bestsellers, Spring 2014.
- ENG 158B: Digital Humanities Spring 2013
Editing and Curating:
- Member, Editorial Board, Digital Humanities Quarterly, 2006-present
- Member, Editorial Committee, Literary and Linguistic Computing, 2004-present
- Member, Editorial Board, Arts and Humanities in Higher Education: an international journal of theory, research and practice, 2001-present
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Electronic Publishing, University of Michigan Press.
- Co-founder and Editor Emeritus, Member, Editorial Board, Postmodern Culture: an electronic journal of interdisciplinary criticism (published by Johns Hopkins University Press): issue editor for issues 1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.3, 3.3, 4.2, 5.1, 5.3.
- Member, Blake Archive Advisory Board, 1998-present
- Member, Dickinson Editorial Collective Advisory Board, 1998-present
- Member, Romantic Circles Advisory Board, 1997-present
- Co-PI, with Laura Wood (Tufts University). "The Eastern Academic Scholars’ Trust (East): A Large-Scale Shared Print Collection Serving Northeastern Academic Libraries." Proposed on behalf of the Boston Library Consortium to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for funding of $994,771, March 30, 2015.
- Co-PI, with Laura Wood (Tufts University). "Repository Services for Accessible Course Content." Funded at $49,870 by the Institute for Museum and Library Studies. 2015.
- PI. "The HistoryMakers and the Higher Education Market." A planning grant to help a Brandeis alumna's non-profit oral history project become part of the collections of college and university libraries. Funded at $51,000 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2015.