George III, King of Great Britain, Ireland, and Hanover
(born 4 June 1738, died 27 January 1820)
was the son of Frederick Lewis, Prince of Wales (1707-1751),
and his wife Augusta of Saxe-Gotha (1719-1772).
and married, on 8 September 1761,
Sophie Charlotte, Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
(born 19 May 1744, died 17 November 1818), the daughter
of Charles Louis Frederick, Prince of Mirow (1708-1752), and his wife
Elisabeth Albertina of Saxe-Hildburghausen
For more information on the ancestors of Queen Charlotte and King George, see
this website giving links to genealogical
information on royal families of Europe from the 6th century A.D.
Look here for information on the
Genealogy of Mecklenburg.
Queen Charlotte gave birth to 15 children in the first
21 years of her marriage. Of that number, 13 survived to
"George III and Queen Charlotte and their fourteen children parading
before the public at Windsor Castle in 1781." In:
Guttmacher, Manfred S. America's Last King. New York, 1941. Plate
facing p. 45.
Children of King George III and Queen Charlotte
- George Augustus Frederick, Prince of Wales, reigned as King George IV of Great Britain and Hanover (1762-1830).
- Frederick, Duke of York (1763-1827).
- William Henry, Duke of Clarence, reigned as King
William IV of Great Britain and Hanover (1765-1837).
- Charlotte Augusta Matilda, Princess Royal (1766-1828).
- Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent (1767-1820).
- Augusta Sophia (1768-1840) never married.
- Elizabeth (1770-1840).
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, reigned as King
Ernest of Hanover (1771-1851).
- Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (1773-1843).
- Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge (1774-1850).
- Mary (1776-1857).
- Sophia (1777-1848) never married.
- Octavius (1779-1783) died in childhood.
- Alfred (1780-1782) died in childhood.
- Amelia (1783-1810) never married.
Read about the Royal
Marriage Act (1772).
Continue the exhibit.
Return to Main Page.
Maintained by: email@example.com
© Jean L. Cooper and Angelika S. Powell