You can access my papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
Ongoing Working Papers:
· “Market Structure and Competition in Airline Markets,” with Charles Murry (University of Virginia) and Elie Tamer (Harvard University). Online Supplement. May 2016.
· “Network Structure and Consolidation in the Us Airline Industry, 1990-2015”, With Emily Cook (University of Virginia) and Jonathan Williams (UNC), July 2017. Invited submission, Review of Industrial Organization, Special Issue commemorating 40 years after the airline deregulation.
· “Two Screening Tests for Tacit Collusion: Evidence From the Airline Industry,” with Eddie Watkins (UNC) and Jonathan W. Williams (UNC), July 2017.
· “Superstar Exporters: An Empirical Investigation of Strategic Interactions in Danish Export Markets,” with Ina Jäkel (Aarhus University), September 2017.
· “Public Communication and Tacit Collusion in the Airline Industry,” with Gaurab Aryal (UVA) and Ben Leyden (UVA). Comments Welcome!
· “Multiple Equilibria and Deterrence in Airline Markets,” with Zhou Zhang (University of Virginia). Economic Inquiry, Volume 55, Issue 1, January 2017, Pp: 319-338.
· “Effects of Mergers and Divestitures on Airline Fares,” with Jonathan Williams (University of North Carolina) and Zhou Zhang (University of Virginia). Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Issue 2603, 2017, Pages 98-104.
· “Genetically Engineered Crops and Pesticide Use in U.S. Maize and Soybeans,” with David A. Hennessy (Michigan State University), GianCarlo Moschini (Iowa State University), and Edward D. Perry (Kansas State University), Science Advances, 31 Aug 2016, Vol. 2, no. 8.
· “Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry,” with Simon Anderson (UVA), Jura Liaukonyte (Cornell University), and Regis Renault (Université de Cergy-Pontoise, THEMA). Forthcoming in the Rand Journal of Economics. Online Appendix.
· “Playing the Fertility Game at Work: An Equilibrium Model of Peer Effects,” with Amalia Miller (UVA), Helena Skyt Nielsen, and Marianne Simonsen (Aarhus University, Denmark). International Economic Review, Volume 57, Issue 3, August 2016, pages 827-856.
· “Does Multi-Market Contact Facilitate Tacit Collusion? Inference on Conduct Parameters in the Airline Industry,” with Jonathan Williams (University of North Carolina), The RAND Journal of Economics, Volume 45, Issue 4, pages 764–791, Winter 2014.
· “Information Content of Advertising: Empirical Evidence from the OTC Analgesic Industry,” with Simon P. Anderson (University of Virginia), Jura Liaukonyte (Cornell University), International Journal of Industrial Organization, Volume 31, Issue 5, September 2013, Pages 355–367. [Lead Article].
· “Bankruptcy and Product-Market Competition in the Airline Industry,” with Carola Schenone (UVA), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 30 (2012), pp. 564-577.
· “Are the Bankrupt Skies the Friendliest?” with Carola Schenone (UVA), Journal of Corporate Finance, 18 (2012) 1217–1231.
· “Outsourcing and Vertical Integration in a Competitive Industry,” with John Panzar (Northwestern University and University of Auckland), Southern Economic Journal, 2011, 77(4), 885-900.
· “Limited Access to Airport Facilities and Market Power in the Airline Industry,” with Jonathan Williams (University of Georgia), Journal of Law and Economics, Volume 53, Number 3 (August 2010), pp. 467-495.
· “Were British Cotton Entrepeneurs Technologically Backward? Firm-Level Evidence on the Adoption of Ring-Spinning,” Explorations in Economic History, Volume 47, Issue 4 (October 2010), pp. 487-504. Corrected proof available online 12 June 2010.
· “Public Policy and Market Competition: How the Master Settlement Agreement Changed the Cigarette Industry,” with Nick Kuminoff (Arizona State University), The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy: Vol. 10 : Iss. 1 (Frontiers), Article 63. Appendix here.
· “Market Structure and Multiple Equilibria in the Airline Industry,” with Elie Tamer (Northwestern University), Econometrica, Vol. 77, No. 6 (November, 2009), 1791-1828. Supplement, Data and Software.
· “Exit from the Hospital Industry,” with Richard Lindrooth (University of Colorado at Denver), Economic Inquiry, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 71–81, 2007.
· “Does Organizational Form Affect Investment Decisions?”, Journal of Industrial Economics, Volume LIV, No. 1, March 2006, Pages 63-93.
· “The Effect of Physician-Hospital Affiliations on Hospital Prices in California,” with David Dranove (Northwestern University), Journal of Health Economics, Volume 25, Issue 1 , January 2006, Pages 29-38.